ENGLISH HERITAGE
north northumberland
Berwick Barracks - Coat of Arms Berwick Barracks and Ramparts
One of the outstanding fortified towns of Europe
Berwick Barracks Berwick Barracks, among the first in England to be purpose-built, were begun in 1717 to the design of the distinguished architect Nicholas Hawksmoor.
 
Today, the Barracks hosts a number of attractions, including 'By Beat of Drum' - an exhibition on the life of the British infantryman. While there, visit the King's Own Scottish Borderers Museum, the Contemporary Art Gallery and the Berwick Borough Museum.
 
The Main Guard is a Georgian guardhouse near the quay, which displays 'The Story of a Border Garrison Town' exhibition.
  • Gymnasium Gallery
  • 'By Beat of Drum' Exhibition
  • King's Own Scottish Borderers Museum
  • 'Clock Block' Exhibition
  • Parking in town centre
  • Toilets
  • Souvenir Guide
  • Gift Shop
  • Gymnasium Gallery
  • 'By Beat of Drum' Exhibition
  • King's Own Scottish Borderers Museum
  • 'Clock Block' Exhibition
  • Parking in town centre
  • Toilets
  • Souvenir Guide
  • Gift Shop
How to find us
By Car: On the Parade, off Church Street in town centre.
By Bus: From surrounding areas.
By Train: Berwick-upon-Tweed ¼ mile
Telephone:
   Barracks (01289 304493)
   Main Guard (01289 330 430)
Daily opening times (2019)
30 Mar - 30 Sep: 10am-6pm (Daily)
  1 Oct - 3 Nov, daily 10am - 4pm
  4 Nov - 31 Mar Closed

Note: Last admission 30 minutes before closing time
Admissions (2019)
Adult:£5.80
Concessions:£5.20
Children under 16:£3.50
Children under 5:Free
Family Group:£15.10
English Heritage sites to visit in North Northumberland
ENGLISH HERITAGE
north northumberland

© Lindisfarne Links

Places to visit whilst in the area

2009 Experimental Counter